Yesterday my wife was in a fender-bender. She was rear-ended by some teen girl who was focused on her cellphone. The good news is that Mrs. Patterson was not hurt. Also, said teen had insurance and the accident was not my wife’s fault. So this will eventually work itself out.
After work I had to pick my wife up at one of the local body shops. On the drive home we are stopped at a major intersection (major for a town of 60k) when we witnessed an assault. We see two tripped out cars stopped at the light to the left of us. The front car has plates from our area whereas the back car has California plates. I see California passenger get out, walk up to the driver, and–I kid you not–slug him. He then dashes back into the tripped out car and they tear out.
- I wonder what led up to it?
- Where the punks in the California car wannabes or actual gangbangers?
- At least they did not have guns. Or if they had them they chose not to use them.
- This area used to have a bad meth problem that’s supposed to have gotten better. Related? Not sure.
- Do California gangbangers or wannabes deal in meth? I’m so far removed from the prison stuff that I no longer know.
- It happened so fast that the only thing we remember is California plates and the car was silverish. No numbers and no descriptions of the punks.
So this intersection is at a divided double highway. After the punch the local driver sat their trying to console his passenger who was hunched over. The light turned green and we had to move. As we started to drive we saw a pick-up truck stop to see if the kids where okay.
And yes, we did not report it. However, after having had the chance to sleep I think I’m going to call the police station and see if anyone did. Honestly though, I don’t know what good it will do other than ease my guilty conscience.
Unrelated to our little adventure but still worth mentioning…
- Gun control advocates are trying a new strategy and relaunch.
The idea, he said, is rescue the debate from the poles on either side of the gun control issue. The new site will feature a petition demanding politicians start talking about gun violence and how to prevent it. “It begins at the top with the president and Mitt Romney offering more than sympathy,” Gross said.
- Another nut almost came unglued.
Timothy Courtois, 49, was stopped by Maine State Police after speeding at 112 mph in his Ford Mustang. He told police he was on his way to Derry, New Hampshire, where he planned to shoot a former employer.
I’m going to use that second article to step briefly on my soapbox. In the wake of the Aurora shootings I’ve watched some of the pro-gun crowd cart out this tired old chesnut:
“Guns kill people just like spoons make fat people fat. Why don’t we ban spoons to protect fat people?”
When was the last time some nut tried to use an eating utensil to create mass casualties? Or, put another way, why do the armies of the world prefer automatic weapons over sticks, stones, and blades?