- Will our beloved Lord of Pasta rise again?
In news stories detailing a new Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office volunteer posse dedicated to cracking down on illegal immigrants, Seagal’s name was included in a short list of celebrity posse participants.
- And in related news…
Reese Witherspoon has bought Steven Segal’s former house for $7 million.
(Prime) Chuck Norris:
- Chuck becomes an honorary Texas Ranger.
Chuck Norris…is now the real deal: an honorary Texas Ranger, by edict of the Lone Star State’s Gov. Rick Perry.
Martial Arts News:
The news was pretty light this week — mostly stuff about MMA but nothing worth posting. I almost canceled it but there were some great blog posts that I had to highlight.
- Here’s an interesting take on target marketing.
The 47-year-old started the Bad-Ass Moms class in September. BAM, as students call it, is martial arts, women’s self-defense and life coaching rolled into one program offered twice a week.
- Kung Fu Santa? Pretty much a typical night at the Patterson home.
Playing as the master himself, the user will have to jump between candy cane poles and save all the presents, while avoiding dangers such as poison goo, bombs, and evil elves!
- Blade goes to jail! What’s interesting to me is the fact that he’s a 2nd dan in Hapkido. I did not know that.
Wesley Snipes has been ordered to begin his three-year prison sentence after failing to pay about $7 million in taxes.
- Rory considers why he trains.
Training in a martial art is not the same thing as training for violence. Not at all, and this for years has been one of my blindspots. I had assumed that in the end everyone was training for the dark day when they may have to use the skills.
- Gaijin has another take on why he trains.
Perhaps for those looking for the quickest route to self-defense, this is all very non-sensical and a seeming big waste of time, and they would do themselves a great favor to find a more appropriate martial art or teacher for them. But I believe these concepts I have mentioned here gives aikido is sophistication and beauty.
- Matthew shows us how to stay ready.
I’d like to explore one method you can use to optimize your readiness to make a decision and perform to the best of your ability when that moment arrives.
- Sensei Strange shares a video on Thai knife defense training.
Every time I post a video with what I call a poor example in training I like to preface it with that I have respect for all arts and people who are training.
- Sifu Ted Wong, R.I.P.
I just got the news that the respected JKD (Jeet Kune Do) practitioner and instructor, Sifu Ted Wong, passed away last week.
- I shared this last week but think the post is worth sharing again. Wim recommends the Photon Microlight. Well I happened to impulse-buy the Swiss Tech version last week (it’s sold at a store I frequent often). I have to admit that the Photon brand looks better made — we’ll see how long mine lasts. I will say that it is amazing how much light this little key chain puts out!
If by now you think I’m advocating carrying nothing at all for your daily self defense needs, you’re wrong.
- Cook Ding has the video find of the week! The skill displayed in these videos is simply breathtaking.
A friend sent me these clips. Shoji Teramoto is one of the stars in the Kendo world.
The first is a little Kendo from Cook Ding’s post!
So in my comment to Rick he asked me how I thought Sensei Teramoto would do against the Dog Brothers. Well, first problem: I had know idea who the Dog Brothers were. Now I do.
The Dog Brothers are a band of sweaty, smelly, psychopaths with sticks… DBMA is “the system of many styles” which has evolved out of the interplay of what we have been taught and our experience.
So it looks like the Dog Brothers is basically Fight Club with sticks. Interesting.
As for Rick’s question, well, I’m going to respond with “I don’t know.” Shoji Teramoto Sensei is the 2007 All Japan Kendo Champion and 2009 World Champion. However, I’m unable to determine if he’s had training in other martial arts.
I will go as far as saying if the protective gear was off and Teramoto could use a real Katana we’d probably see diced dog.