- The WBA is still in a state of disarray.
As of the writing of this article, the WBA has yet to decide whether its title will be at stake Saturday night. This kind of intrigue is one reason prize fighters can no longer pack stadiums in the U.S. Still, there is another laurel on the line on Saturday—the vacant Ring Magazine World Heavyweight Championship.
- Martial arts in Iraq may go extinct.
The coach of the Iraqi national karate team has been shot dead by gunmen in the northern city of Mosul, police say… Months earlier members of the Iraqi tae-kwon-do team were seized while traveling to their training centre. Their remains were found a year later.
- Kurt Angle is probably too old to try MMA.
Ten years ago, the idea would have been compelling; today, with a body battered by wrestling, it would only serve to make Angle’s friends and relatives very, very nervous.
- It also appears that professional wrestling was a causal factor in Angle’s drug abuse.
The mix of Percocet, Vicodin, Norco and Lorcet would be one of the factors that cost Angle his job with the WWE in 2006. He went clean and signed with TNA, thus saving himself from being another statistic.
- Could we see a Billy Jack re-make?
Currently titled “Billy Jack and Jean,” Laughlin promises it will update the character that made him famous and be “unlike any film ever made.”
- Yonkers Karate Connections does well at grappling tournament.
Competitors fighting for the Norman Yonkers Karate Connection won big at the 12th Annual Greater Rochester International Martial Arts Championship…
- I am always a tad skeptical of learning self-defense in a “workshop” and then never practicing the techniques ever again. Perhaps this is a good solution?
There are no set techniques, just three Principles that hey can teach in a quick afternoon.
- German Judo champ trains American military and more. And here I thought MMA was all the rage in military combatives!
While in the United States, Kieslich trains military troops in hand-to-hand combat at Fort Knox. He also trains horses on his farm.
- A lost interview of David Caradine reveals his favorite hobby was sex. He also taught Bob Dylan a little kung fu and Dylan apparently has an amateur boxing background.
Yeah. Amateur, of course. He and Quentin used to spar together if you can imagine that: little tiny Bob and huge Quentin.
- Controversy meets kung fu…
“I’ve shown young people the trailer to this. All flid means to them is a man with short arms who kick the hell out of everybody, who gets the girl back. It’s a pro-active thing.
From the blogs:
- For the second time that I am aware of Striking Thoughts is the featured martial arts blog at WordPress. Happy birthday to me!
- This may be the shortest review ever!
Which is the real lumbering, undead monster? A vampire? Or Steven Seagal’s career?
- Melvin tries his first tae kwon do class.
Well, everyone in the class is very friendly, guess what? I meet more than 5 new friends in my first class!
The factory has informed me that my kettlebells will be done next week and then they will ship them.
- Matthew’s new e-book is about to hit cyberspace!
My free ebook “The Student’s Guide to Surviving a Traditional Dojo” will be released this coming monday, June 22,2009.
- Martial Views thinks that size matters!
Do you prefer to train in large groups or smaller settings?
- Boy I’d like to try this at a few meetings…
“Three seconds?” and his words aren’t even cold before he’s on the ground and his eyes roll up.
Here’s a little David Carradine vs. Brandon Lee. The sad part is they are both dead.
The good folks at MartialSkillDotCom show us a little classic Praying Mantis. First a little waist chopping:
Next we see another classic move! All I can say is that I’m having a hard time putting the footwork together with the handwork. I can usually do one or the other but both at the same time is very hard. Then again, I only have about three months in while these guys have been at it for 10 years!
Last and probably least we have some viewer e-mail. This viewer wants to know if I ever trained under Sifu Fu Kiu. Sorry but no Mr. Viewer, I received my training from One Lung Ho.